Top Reasons Why Platinum Is an Ideal Choice for Custom Engagement Rings Other than choosing the perfect gemstone for custom engagement rings, you also have to pick the metal. In fact, there are a few different options available in the market, with platinum being the most popular choice. However, do you know why this particular metal is preferred by many consumers? Listed below are the top reasons to consider the “Cadillac of metals” when picking outengagement ring metal. Did you know that pure platinum is 30x rarer than your average gold? Annually, there are only about 88 tons of platinum mined for jewellery compared to the 2700 tons of gold being converted for jewellery. It is pure More often, platinum metals displayed in jewellery shops are 95% pure. The other 5% is made up of iridium, ruthenium, palladium, and other alloys. Colour stays consistent Since wedding bands and custom engagement rings are supposed to last a lifetime, so does the colour of your platinum ring. Fortunately, platinum’s colour will consistently last a lifetime. It will neither fade nor change as you wear it for a long period of time. It is rare Did you know that pure platinum is 30x rarer than your average gold? Annually, there are only about 88 tons of platinum mined for jewellery compared to the 2700 tons of gold being converted for jewellery. It is ideal for securing setting Prongs made out of platinum are highly favoured by jewellers for protecting diamonds and other precious stones since they resist breaking. Platinum’s density, strength and resistance to corrosion make sure that even the most delicate of prongs will keep precious stones and especially diamonds secure. It ages well Another appealing characteristic of platinum is the stunning patina it develops over time. To keep it brilliant looking, you can have it buffed using a soft cloth to return its original lustre. Occasionally soak the metal in warm, soapy water and then gently scrub the metal with a soft-bristled brush in order to maintain its brilliance. It is hypoallergenic The strongest reason why platinum is so appealing to a wide customer base is because it is hypoallergenic. This is ideal for people who are allergic or sensitive to other precious metals. It is non-corrosive This is a fancy way of pointing out that platinum resists tarnishing. It feels special Platinum is approximately 60% heavier than gold that is 14K and also 40% heavier than gold that is 18K. This only means that it is a metal with substance. It is durable Its weight and density can hold exceptionally well to daily wear and time. It is often rare to re-shank a platinum ring. It is a symbol of eternal love The natural attributes of platinum are the ultimate symbol for an everlasting relationship. What better way to express your undying love than the beauty of platinum custom engagement rings.